Sunday, June 10, 2012

It's Ok to build a mild, depemdable cruiser!! In fact it's smart!

I talked to a guy the other day that had restored a 1964 Olds Cutlass coupe. It wasn't a 442, but it was a nice, clean, rust-free 2 door body.  The interior had bucket seats and a console, and it was nice. He had upgraded to front disc brakes by using '70's F-body spindles, rotors, calipers, booster and master cylinder, etc. He had also replaced the 330 V8 / Super Turbine 300 ( read 2-speed Powerglide ) automatic powertrain with a later-model 350 Olds V8 and a Turbo 350 trans. It ran like a champ. I thought it was a great car, and told him. He was almost apologetic. "Yeah, thanks a lot." "I like it, and my wife likes it." "Everybody says I should have gotten a 455 and a Richmond 5-speed stick, and a Global west suspension, and Wildwood 4-wheel disc brakes." "But I didn't have that kind of money, and my wife and I like to drive it to car shows or take it to the drags occasionally." "It only runs in the 14s, but it's still a lot of fun."  "Buddy-I said-"You don't have to apologize for buidling a cool car, your way on a limited budget and then enjoying the hell out of it ." "Everybody else" reads too many magazines, and can spend other people's money and time real easily by running their mouth." "You like it, and that's all that matters."  "And guess what-I'll bet you have just as much fun running in the 14s, or more-because your not worried about blowing up some megabuck motor than the blowhard that's running 11s and telling everyone else what they should do with their car."  "It's funny-your the first person I've talked to that said "That's cool." "Everyone else says I should get a modern LS motor ( AAAAuuuGGhhhhh!!!! ) or a Modnello built 425 or 455, or even a Big-block Chevy."  "But screw 'em." " "I have a 403 Olds that I got out of a wrecked Firebird that I plan to put in "someday", but it runs so damnded good and is so much fun to drive, that I can't bring myself to park it long enough to do the engine swap-even though it'd probably only take a day- a 403 and a 350 are virtually identical."  "Hey-drive it till the wheels fall off buddy." "I will."  We should all follow this guy's lead-sometimes simplicity is the best way to go.  Mastermind 

No comments:

Post a Comment