Thursday, March 3, 2011

No you didn't Part 3!

I'm sorry to be so negative lately, but I've talked to a lot of people lately who amaze me with their ignorance, and their arrogance. And it's brought back some memories too. The "One Just like it." thing continues to rear it's ugly head and irritate me in new ways. I get sick of people bragging that they beat a certain model of car in a drag race or "Stoplight Gran Prix", so that means they can beat every other car of that type in the world. Here's why it's so irritating, and why I love giving these jerks a huge comeuppance.  I knew a guy that had a small-block Chevelle that he thought was badass. He was always challenging me and my Judge. and saying he "Eats Goats for breakfast." He did this because he'd beat a neighbor's 68 GTO from a light. However, the neighbor's GTO was an "Economy" model-yes they made them- with a 265hp two-barrel carburated 400, an automatic, and 2.93:1 rear end gears. One day I caught him at a light, and annihilated him, even while smoking the tires well into second gear. He couldn't understand how my GTO with a 366hp Ram Air III, a 4-speed, and 4.33:1 gears, could whomp his ass so bad after he beat "One just like it." Another blowhard had a 79 Z/28 and bragged that "Trans-Ams are dogs." Because his 3.73 geared 4-speed Camaro had beaten a 403 Olds powered, automatic, 2.41 geared T/A. When he ran into my 400 Pontiac, 4-speed, 3.42 geared WS6 model, he was shocked when I beat him by a car length and a half. He was even more stunned when my pals "Macho T/A" smoked him by about 5 car lengths.  Yet another arrogant fool in a small-block 72 El Camino challenged my buddys 67 Cougar to a drag race, because he'd smoked his brother-who-you guessed it-"Has one just like that.'  Except his brother's was a 289, and my pal's was a 390 model!!  Oops! The best one was the guy I worked with that challenged my Hurst/Olds to race his 5.0 Mustang, telling me that my "17 second" car didn't have a chance. He came to this conclusion by pulling out a road test of a 1977 442 that "looks just like that", and ran a 16.9 second 1/4.  Except the 77 442 was powered by a 350 with a catilytic converter choked single-exhaust system, and 2.56:1 gears. He was utterly aghast when my 73 model with a 455, catalyst-free dual exhaust, Hurst "Shotgun" converter, and 3.23 gears, came out of the hole with him, and then passed him at the top of second gear. Guess the one in the magazine WASN'T  "Just like mine!!"  God I get tired of hearing that phrase from people who have no Idea what their talking about. Mastermind       

No comments:

Post a Comment