Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Project Junkyard Dog?

I'm thinking of building a project car using a cheap, even ugly car, using mostly junkyard parts and serializing the build on this site, and possibly in a national magazine if they'll give me the space. Here's a few ideas I'm kicking around; email me and let me know which ones you like best. JYD # 1. I have a 390 hp 428 Pontiac engine in my garage out of a 1969 Gran Prix. It's been sitting for years, and will need a rebuild, but it's all there. I'm thinking of stuffing it in a 1971-77 Ventura and going one of two ways-hardcore drag-race style suspension for maximum 1/4 mile performance, or ( since a lot of Camaro / Firebird pieces interchange ) adding T/A sway bars, steering box, brakes, etc salvaged from wrecked F-bodies and making it a low-budget g-machine. Either way it would be a killer sleeper. JYD # 2. I also have a 455 Olds engine in my garage that has a spun main bearing. Dropping that into a 78-88 "G" body- preferably a Cutlass-but even a Buick Regal or Pontiac Gran Prix would make a killer sleeper. I'm thinking one of two ways-NASCAR tribute style-roll cage, radiused fenderwells, fat tires, loud exhaust and graphics- or Stone stock looking sleeper-quiet exhaust,skinny tires, factory hubcaps-etc. JYD # 3. A friend has a Nissan 280ZX with a blown engine, and I have Vortec-headed 350 Chevy out of a wrecked 1998 GMC van. Z motorsports still sells an excellent motor mount / swap kit to put the SBC in any 1970-83 Z-car, and it wouldn't take much to get 325-350 hp out of my core. These make dynamite drag racers-the independent rear suspension really hooks up, and since the V8 is only about 100 lbs heavier than the Nissan 6, they still handle decent. JYD # 4 My dad has a Jaguar XJ / 6 with a blown engine. That Vortec 350 would go in there pretty easy, and make it a stealthy BMW fighter....  Let me know what you think!!  Mastermind   

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like a great idea, especially if you can get some magazine coverage. They're always looking for those who "dare to be different" and I think this would fit. I'm not too keen on the Nissan and Jag ideas (I like both cars, but think you should stick to American muscle). My preference would be an early 70s Ventura, but a late 70s Regal could also be made to be pretty awesome. The Ventura will probably be lighter (no A/C, no power seats, no power windows, etc) and easier to work on, but the Regal would probably be easier to make look somewhat modern and handle well. So it's a toss-up there.

    ReplyDelete