Sunday, July 8, 2012

It's only paint and graphics-do your car the way you want for God's sake!!!

Like comedian Ron White says-"You can't fix stupid."  I talked to someone the other day who had a '71 Chevelle SS they were restoring. He wanted to paint it red with black stripes, but the car was originally green. I had to ask-"Why is everyone so damnded concerned with what they might get if or when they ever sell the car, that they don't build it the way they want it?!  If you sell the car five years from now, and a potential buyer doesn't like the color-he's free to paint it any color he wants. Have a nice day.  If you want to put "Super Bee" graphics on a '71-74 Charger, go ahead. Yes, it was a '71 only option, but who cares? The bodystyle is the same, and If you like it, do it.  I write about this stuff, and I authenticate cars for people all the time, and the other day I told a friend to buy a fake Judge. It was a for-real 1969 GTO with a 350 hp 400 / TH400 powertain, but it wasn't a Judge, although it had a Carousel Red paint job and the spoiler and stripes and Judge emblems.  However, the interior was immaculate, it had brand-new BFG T/A radials on nice Rally II wheels, and it was amazingly clean and rust-free. And the asking price was only $16,000!!.  If I'd had an extra 15 grand laying around, or could get a loan for that amount, I'd have bought it!  That's a steal for a great condition '69 GTO regardless of paint!!  Guess what?  My buddy didn't buy it, and when he came to his senses and called the owner the next day-Shocker!  Someone else had bought it the first day. "I'm thinking I should have asked 20K for it" the now previous owner lamented.  He should have, because he'd have gotten it. The car was that nice.  This is what I'm telling you-magazine writers and restoration shops put too much stock on what is and isn't original. If you see an Immaculate Buccaneer Red 1973 Trans-Am with Rally II wheels for sale for a reasonable price-are you going to NOT buy it because you found out it was originally Cameo White and had Honeycomb wheels on it?  Get Real.  I love the look of the late-'70's "Macho T/A's" built by Dennis Mecham of Mecham Pontiac. Phoenix Graphics sells the stencils, so guess what-if I buy another '77-81 T/A to play with-I'm not sure what motor it will have-maybe a 400 Pontiac, maybe a 403 Olds, maybe a small-block Chevy-( my ZZ4 crate engine will bolt right in where 1980-81 models had a 305 ) but I know I'm going to paint it like a "Macho".  Here's a true story-a friend owned a used car lot and he put another friends 1970 SS396 Chevelle for sale on the lot on consignment. The car sat there for months and didn't sell. And it wasn't overpriced, and it was a for-real 4-speed SS 396. But it had bench seats, the crappy Muncie shifter, and it was green with a white Vynil top, and it had '70's style slot mags on it. Even though the numbers matched, people thought it was a cobbled up Malibu. I told the owner what to do. He removed the vynil top, painted it a bright blue metallic whith white stripes, and put some wheel vintiques SS396 repro wheels on it, installed a Hurst shifter, and RAISED the price 4 grand. It sold the first day!  Because it was way more attractively packaged, that's all.  So go ahead and add or remove a vynil top, change wheels or colors and add or remove spoilers or whatever to make the car as cool as possible. Your not "Hurting" the value of the car, your enhancing it.  Mastermind              

No comments:

Post a Comment