Friday, April 12, 2013

Project "Lion's?" Or Bonneville.....Or Riverside?

I spoke earlier about a street machine done in '60's Trans-Am style-like Popular Hot Rodding's-"Project Talledega" a Chevelle Laguna done in '70's NASCAR style. That got me thinking that it might be cool to do a '50's hot rod one of three ways. We all love '55-57 Chevys-but that would be too cliche' and too expensive. I was thinking of doing a '55-58 Olds in '50's "Gasser" drag racing style. Remove the front bumper, install a straight front axle-radius the rear wheelwells for big tires, remove all the chrome and fill the mounting holes. Paint it flat black, and run Chrome reverse rims, or maybe Cragar S/S mags. I have a 455 Olds engine and TH400 in my garage.  "Project Lion's Drag strip". # 2. A popular swap in the late '50's was the "Studillac"- a Cadillac V8 stuffed into a 1953-55 Studebaker Starliner Coupe. A lot of guys ran these at Bonneville on top-speed runs because the swoopy Stude body was more aerodynamic than just about anything else from the '50's, and the big Cad V8's made more power than the  239 inch Ford Flathead V8s or the 283 inch small-block Chevys of the day. A buddy of mine has a 472 Cad engine he'll sell me cheap. Smooth out and de-chrome the body, put on some big wheels and tires with Moon disc hubcaps-"Project Bonneville".  # 3. Smokey Yunick and Fireball Roberts were the scourge of NASCAR in the late '50's and early '60's with their fire-breathing Pontiacs. They won 22 races in the 1961-62 season alone, a record that stood until Richard Petty won 27 in 1967. Then came the infamous June 1963 GM ban on factory-backed racing. So I'd have to use a 1959-63 Catalina,Bonneville, or Gran Prix. I've got a 428 Pontiac engine in my garage, and I have an Offenhauser dual quad Pontiac manifold ( set up for Dual AFB's, but modern Edelbrock Performer carbs will bolt right on and look the same ) Thst would look just like a factory 421 SD induction setup. ( although a lot of the time Smokey ran a single-4bbl, I just think the dual quads look and sound cool ) I'd use a Muncie or Saginaw 3-speed stick-because that's what they ran. For some reason, Smokey didn't like the 4-speeds on the long tracks. Radiuse the fenderwells, use black painted steel wheels with chrome lug nuts, put numbers and decals and "421 SD" emblems on the body. It would look badass and with 428 inches under the hood, it could back up the image. "Project Riverside"-one of Roberts' most exciting victories came there. I think any of these would be cool and unique-not something you see every day. I'll see if I can get some magazine support-maybe they'll serialize the build or donate some parts. Anyone else have similar ideas? Mastermind   

No comments:

Post a Comment