Saturday, October 19, 2013

If you want a F*&^%ing new car... then buy a F*&^%$ing new car!!!

I'm appalled at this month's "Popular Hot Rodding". They rank their top 20 reader's musclecars. 18 of them are Vintage Camaros, Firebirds, Mustangs, and Mopars with Chevy LS motors, 4.6 and 5.4 Ford Mod motors and 5.7, 6.1, or 6.4 Hemis. Only two were "Correct" a 1977 Trans-Am with a 455 Pontiac and a '70 Road Runner with a stroked 440. I've said it until I'm blue in the face. If you were a gun collector would you buy a WWII vintage Colt .45 and put laser sights on it?  If you were a guitar player would you buy a 1965 Fender Stratocaster and change the pickups on it and add a whammy bar? If you were a motorcycle enthusiast would you buy a 1947 Harley-Davidson Knucklehead and put a fuel-injected Twin-Cam and six-speed tranny out of a 2010 Softail in it?  Probably not. Then why do so many assholes do it to musclecars? And, like I've said before, I don't give a shit if somebody stuffs an LS motor into a '72 LeMans or a '69 Nova, or a 5.7 Hemi into a '73 318 Barracuda. But it's always a numbers-matching, 4-speed SS396 Chevelle, or a 455HO Trans-Am, or 440 GTX. Leave the pristine, vintage iron for people who appreciate it. And, Don't get me wrong, I think the new cars are great. I've been negotiating with my local Dodge Dealer on a 2013 Challenger. At $22,900 it's a deal. Yes, it's white-gotta honor "Vanishing Point"-but it's going to be a driver if I buy it-and yes, it's a six-cylinder automatic. Scoff if you want, but Car and Driver tested one and it ran 0-60 in 6.7 seconds and the 1/4 in 15 flat. That's fast enough for a daily driver, especially one that gets 25 mpg. Chrysler claims 31, but C/ D got 25. Any way- the point I'm making- if I wanted a 5.7 Hemi and a 5-speed automatic or six-speed stick I'd step up and spend another 8 grand to get it. If i wanted a 1970 model I would want a 383 or a 440 and a 4-speed. I damn sure wouldn't pay the price of a new one for a 43 year old one, and then spend another 10K transplanting a modern powertrain and electronics into it!!!  I don't get transplanting the engine, tranny and suspension out of a 2005 Mustang into a 1965 model. You want a late-model Mustang, go buy one!!! You want a '60's model-then take it with crappy suspension and and engine- either a 289 or 390 / 428 that leaks oil!!.  We like "Old Stuff" because it's different from "New Stuff".  Anyhow, I've said it before, PHR should just change their title to "Modern Fuelie Swap Monthly". Because that's all they ever feature.  Just had to vent that. Mastermind    

No comments:

Post a Comment