Sunday, August 17, 2014

"I like it, I love it, I want some more of it".....

      Country singer Tim McGraw was talking about sex with a new girlfriend, but I think it applies to a new batch of cars. Dodge is releasing the Hellcat Challenger that has a superhcarged Hemi with 707 hp!!  Chevy has put the 638 hp ZR1 'Vette motor in the Camaro. I was at a Ford dealer the other day and saw a Roush Mustang with a blown 5.0 with 600+ hp. Old-school guys-Listen up-even if your allowed slicks and open headers-these cars will eat the lunch of your LS6 Chevelle or Hemi 'Cuda, or L88 'Vette on street tires. Give the new ones drag radials-and it's not even close. That may be a bitter pill for some to swallow-but it's evolution. The small-block Chevy replaced the flathead Ford as "The" hotrod engine. Deride the new cars if you want-but except for electronic fuel management and ignition timing-it's still old-school hot-rodding. 11:1 compression, more cubes, more cam,putting a big motor in a light car, etc. And it's not only middle-aged rich guys who can afford a $60,000-100,000 car that can play. For 24K you can buy a Ford Mustang with a 305 hp V6 that does the 1/4 in less than 14 seconds. Ditto for a 323hp Camaro. For $27K you can buy a Subaru WRX that does the 1/4 in 13.8 seconds. A Nissan 370Z offers similar performance with it's 332hp V6 for 29K. In my mind-this is the golden age of automotive performance.  Like I've said-I'm a Pontiac guy-I'd love to buy a '78 400, 4-speed WS6 T/A to play with, or a '72 Ventura or a '69 Gran Prix. But I'd also like to have a new Mustang, or an '80's Porsche 944 or a '70's Datsun 240Z. Like Vin Diesel said-"I appreciate a fine body no matter who makes it."  Embrace these new monsters, and buy them if you can!! Keep the flame burning!  Mastermind    

No comments:

Post a Comment