Tuesday, January 27, 2015

If it's not "Real", it doesn't have to be correct to the nth degree.....

Talked to a couple strange people at a car show they other day and the more I thought about it, the more wrong-headed and crazy I thought they were. Here's why- The one guy wanted to build a Cobra Replica. He was griping that he was having trouble finding a 427. I was aghast-I said-"The Factory Five cars run in the 11s with the powertrain out of a "5.0" Mustang. Why do you need to go faster than that?"  "If you want the look and sound of an FE engine-390's are a dime a dozen-and they are externally identical." Put some Edelbrock Heads and a Dual-Quad intake on it and it'll be great." He looked at me like I just dropped a turd in a swimming pool. "You can't have a Cobra without a 427" he sneered. "It's not correct." I laughed. "The whole Freaking car isn't "correct!" "It's a kit car"  "No matter how much money you put into it or rare parts you chase down-It's still not an original,documented Shelby Cobra." So build one for $20,000 instead of 50 or 100."  If you ever want to sell it you might be able to get 25 grand for it." "But no one's going to pay much more than that because the complete turn-key kit less engine costs $19,995." ( The base kit is $11,995) "Another 5k for an SVT 302 or 351 crate motor and your there." "If you can buy a brand-new one for $25k why would you pay 40 or 50 or more for someone elses?"  A guy who overheard our exchange interjected himself in the conversation and agreed with the other guy. He wanted to build a Yenko Camaro clone-but the search for a running or at least rebuildable L72, L88 or L89 427 had proved fruitless. "Well, Duh!!" I said. "They only made them from 1966-69 and their being hoarded by people restoring Corvettes and COPO cars, and real Yenkos." "They made 243,000 '69 Camaros-buy a nice base model for 15K and buy a 454HO crate motor from GMPP for $5995, get the stencils from Phoenix Graphics and your ready to go to for under 30K." "That wouldn't even buy you a basket-case Real Yenko."  "Or spend a little more and get the ZZ427 / 480 hp crate model if you just "Gotta" have a 427." He says-  "But those are roller-cam MKVI engines, not solid-lifter MKIV's and they won't have 1968 or '69 date codes." No shit, Sherlock!  I said again-"But the car is a F#$king Fake!!"  "Why do you need an authentic date-coded motor for a Clone??!!!"  "You don't understand". The guy said. "I don't" I agreed. "If I wanted a Hemi Challenger-I'd go buy a restored '70 or '71 383 model for $25k, and buy a Mopar Performance 426 Crate Hemi for $15K,and drop it in." "Then I'd have a pristine Hemi Challenger for $40 grand." "You can't touch an original Hemi car for under 100K, and half of those, still need work!." "That's the beauty of the clone route." "But I'd never find a 1970 Hemi engine for sale at any price."  These two left-shaking their heads, disgusted by how stupid I was. Really?- Your looking for a $40,000, 40 year old 427 side-oiler NASCAR engine to put into a $12,000 Kit Car-and I'm the dummy?  Ok. Mastermind          

3 comments:

  1. This is truly the era of the automotive uninformed. With their "smarts" coming from prime time TV, well...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is truly the era of the automotive uninformed. With their "smarts" coming from prime time TV, well...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for responding. I think the "Fast&Furious" movies have done more damage than anything else...

      Delete