Sunday, May 8, 2016

You don't have to lie about a car's performance......

I blame the "Fast&Furious" movies for this with their incessant spouting about "10 second" cars. How many people have actually driven an honest-to-god 10 second car?  I haven't. The fastest cars I've driven have been my Judge ( which ran 11.80s ), a 675 hp Roush Mustang which reportedly runs in the high to low 11s,-depending on if you fry the tires halfway down the track or all the way down the track, and a Nissan GTR which according to Car and Driver does 0-60 in 2.9 seconds and the 1/4 in 11 flat. Those cars were so eyeball-flattening fast-that if you actually "need" anything quicker-then you either need a Top Fuel dragster, a competent therapist, or a cage. I know without a doubt that most of the people spouting numbers have never actually ran their car on the track. Hot Rod said several years ago-"If you think your car can run 12s and you've never been to the track, then your probably running low 13s." Truer words were never spoken. What made me think of this was a guy older than me that was bragging how fast his '65 GTO was. A stock, 4bbl '65 GTO, not the tri-power model. I had to really bite my tongue to keep from laughing out loud. The reason is even at the height of the musclecar era-very few cars could run low 13s right off the showroom floor and with just maybe headers and slicks could drop into the 12s. You can count them on one hand-Hemi 'Cudas, LS6 Chevelles, 428 CJ Mustangs, W30 442s, RAIV GTOs.  440 / Six-Pack Mopars, and 427 'Vettes would make the list too, but that's about it. The fact is-most peoples "Musclecar Memories" whether their talking about their own car or a friend or relative's-involve "Entry-Level" musclecars-i.e. 389 GTOs,396 Chevelles, 383 Road Runners, etc. Or stuff like 340 Dusters, 350 Camaros, 351 Mustangs, and 400 Firebirds. Tales of nearly pulling the front wheels, being pushed back in the seat and third-gear rubber seem silly when someone pulls out a yellowed, dog-eared copy of Hot Rod or Car and Driver and we find that the machine in question ran in the 14.60's. There's nothing wrong with that. I think the car I loved the most of all the ones I've owned was my '77 Trans-Am that I had in the mid-'80's. It certainly wasn't the fastest car I ever had-but I enjoyed the hell out of it. It looked cool, it handled like a slot car, the engine idled smoothly, the seats were comfortable, the suspension didn't rattle your fillings loose, and it was fast enough that I didn't have to take crap from little boys in 305 IROC-Z's and 5.0 Mustangs, or older guys in late '70's and early '80's 'Vettes. Your 383 Road Runner or whatever can be your all-time favorite ride. But you don't have to exaggerate and tell tall tales about how ungodly fast it was, because we know it wasn't!!  Just had to vent that. Mastermind        

No comments:

Post a Comment