Tuesday, February 26, 2019

RIP Patricia Fenton Scott...A "Musclecar Mom" if there ever was one...

Sad News on Valentine's Day Feb 14th after a nice dinner with my dad and my sister and I my mother passed away suddenly from a heart attack. She was 75. She always said she went out with my dad the first time simply because he had a cool car. That "Cool" car was a Jet-Black 1959 Pontiac Catalina with the 345 hp Tri-Power ( 3-2bbl ) 389 V8 and a Warner T85 3-speed. They spent many nights drag racing on the great highway by the beach in San Francisco where they lived. I remember that car from when I was a little kid. I also remember her Blue and White '58 Chevy Impala. That one was a 283 / Powerglide. She had chrome reverse wheels with baby moon hubcaps and big whitewalls on it. She loved that car. She was furious when, without discussing it with her, my dad traded it in on a 1965 Pontiac Catalina. As a protest she refused to drive it, commandeering his beloved '64 GTO, which had replaced the '59 Catalina. I have to say mom handled the Rock-Crusher equipped, 4.33:1 geared Goat exceptionally well through the streets of SF, although it used to drive my grandmother bonkers when we'd back out of her driveway on 29th Street ( A VERY STEEP SF Hill ) roll backwards, and then light up the tires all the way up the hill!!  Those 7.75-14 Uniroyal Tiger Paw redlines would smoke forever!  She finally agreed to drive the Catalina and give dad the Goat back, scolding him with "How'd you like it if I traded your GTO without asking you?" Needless to say, Dad bought, sold and traded many cars, trucks and motorcycles in the ensuing years, but HIS, never again Mom's!  My dad's friends were all gearheads so we always had ton's of cool cars around. Paul and JoElla had a '63 Split-Window Corvette Stingray, Jan and Paula had a for-real 289 Shelby Cobra, Sonny had an SS396 Chevelle, and Dave had a 400, 4-speed, '67 Firebird Convertible. Bryan Adam's sang about the "Summer of '69"; I remember it too but not because of teenage romance. I was only 7 or 8. But my mom had a '67 Olds Delta 88 convertible. We always had the top down on that car. She used to take me and my friends to the movies, to the park, roller-skating. Our favorite day trips were to Marin County where my dad owned a Shell Station. There was a Burger / BBQ place next door called "Booby's". Their Burgers were awesome. My dad would let me and my buddies "work" a couple hrs pumping gas and washing windshields, emptying trash cans, etc. Then he'd give us a few bucks and my mom would take us to "Booby's" for lunch. For a little kid that was into cars-could you have a better day than that?  Our house was party central. No matter how many people dropped by on Saturday or Sunday to bench race or watch football mom always managed to feed everybody and make sure every body had a good time. She didn't even really get mad when I set the top of the Olds on fire with a bottle rocket on the 4th of July. My dad was pissed-but my mom was more like-"Isn't that a beautiful fire he started?" My first car was a Ram Air III, 4-speed, 4.33:1 geared '69 GTO Judge. How my dad convinced mom that buying that for a 16 year old was a good idea, I don't know. Needless to say, I lost my driver's liscence in less than a year. I have to say mom was better than F. Lee Bailey at arguing with Juvenile Traffic Judges, and somehow keeping us ( I have a brother and sister as well that drove like they were on the "Dukes of Hazzard" ) liscenced and out of jail most of the time. She loved my brother's GTO, my dad and I's Trans-Ams, and my Hurst / Olds in later years. She always hated my SS396 El Camino however. I don't think she hated the car-more the circumstances in which she drove it. For whatever reason her car was down and she needed to borrow mine. She was in her early '40's then, but still very trim and attractive-she could easily pass for 30. She came home perplexed that all over town guys from 16-60 were waving and honking at her and trying to pull her over, and she didn't know why. She was mortified when, while gasping for breath and rolling on the ground with laughter, my sister pointed out the Bumper Sticker on the Elky which read: "Certified Sex Instructor" "First Lesson Free". She wanted to murder me, but I have to say I honestly forgot I had that on the car when I lent it to her. I was only 21 or 22 at the time-of course I had an obnoxious sticker like that!!  My dad died laughing when he got home. Mom did not find it entertaining. Anyhow she loved her children and later her granchildren, some of whom are gearheads, fiercely. She always made Christmas, Birthdays, 4th of July, Labor Day, tons of fun. She will be sorely missed by everyone who knew and loved her. Especially me. Mastermind    

No comments:

Post a Comment