Sunday, March 24, 2019

More in the same vein.....Have some common sense!!

I'm sorry to be so cynical all the time, but like comedian Ron White says-"You can't fix stupid".  The reasons people don't buy cars that are a screaming deal just leave me shaking my head in disgust.  # 1. Carburators. I've talked to people who passed up great cars at reasonable prices because it had the wrong carburator on it!! Really??  Idiot # 1.  Passed up a pristine '72 Mach 1 Mustang because it had a 2 bbl on the 351C.  This car had a gorgeous red and black paint job, and the interior was also two-tone red and black, and it had fat T/A radials on Magnum 500 wheels. This same moron also passed on a nice '69 fastback because it had a 2 bbl 351W under the hood.  Idiot # 2. Passed up two '68 Chargers because they had 2-bbl  383s. One was a little old lady driven, unrestored but always garaged and exceptionally well-maintained unit with dog-dish hubcaps, and a bench seat. The other one had a gorgeous Torch Red ( a '90's Corvette color ) paint job and fat T/A Radials on Center Line wheels, and it had headers and a loud exhaust that sounded better than the General Lee. Summit Racing sells Edelbrock manifolds for about $200 for most engines. They also sell Edelbrock or Holley 4 bbl carbs for about $400. So for $600 and a couple hrs labor-you could have a huge increase in performance and drivability on a great car. Instead-these morons pass up these cars and either don't get one at all, or end up buying one not as nice for more money!!  Idiot # 3. Passed up a fantastic '70 Firebird Esprit that had a gorgeous bright blue metallic ( an '80's IROC-Z color ) paint job, a pristine white interior and matching white vinyl top, and Center Line wheels, because it had a 2 bbl on the 400!!  This is such a lame excuse, because changing a carb and intake is easy even for an amateur. Further-if you wanted to spend a little extra money, Mopar performance sells the throttle linkage and air cleaner, Holley sells the carbs and Edelbrock still sells the manifold if you want to put a "Six-Pack" setup on your 440 Charger or Road Runner. Edelbrock discontinued the small-block manifold a few years ago-but there's plenty of them in circulation if you wanted to put a "Six-Pack" on a 340 / 360.  If you can't find a Pontiac Tri-Power setup for sale you aren't looking past the end of your nose. This adds value to the car, not the other way around.  Ugh! #2. Vinyl Tops. I touched on this in a previous post. Whether you do or don't want one, it's a pretty easy fix. There's shops everywhere that for a few hundred bucks will add or remove a vinyl top. Honestly-I don't care that much. If I had my choice-I don't personally like vinyl tops. I think they distract from the lines of the car. That aside-If I found a 400, 4-speed  GTO or Firebird, or SS396 Chevelle I really liked, I think I'd just live with the vinyl top if it had one. Ditto for a Charger or Challenger or GTX. This doesn't matter enough to be a deal-breaker for me. Yet I saw a Pontiac Guy walk away from a pristine for-real, numbers-matching RAIII 1970 Judge because it had a vinyl top!!  A white vinyl top-on a white car with white interior!!!  That's the most ridiculous thing in my opinion. Again-this clown ended up paying MORE for an ugly green vinyl topless '69 base model than the guy was asking for the RAIII Judge!!!   # 3. Wheels. This one really blows my mind, because it's such an easy fix. Yet I've seen Pontiac guys turn up their noses at spectacular 400, 4-speed T/A's and Formula Firebirds because the car had Honeycomb wheels instead of Rally II's, or Snowflakes, or because the car had aftermarket wheels.  I've seen Mopar guys walk away from pristine Chargers or GTX's becaue the car had Rallye wheels instead of Magnum 500s, or Cragars or ET mags. I saw a Chevy guy turn up his nose at a totally badass Z / 28  Camaro because it had Minilite wheels ( which I thought looked fantastic ) on it. The stupid thing is-you can usually sell the wheels you don't like and cover most or all of the cost of getting the one's you do want!!.  Don't pass up your dream car for some trivial option that's easily changed!!  Mastermind      

No comments:

Post a Comment