Friday, November 26, 2010

Why the rest of the world doesn't understand!

A friend has a 1969 L88 Corvette. That car is an absolute blast to drive. The feeling of power in every gear is unbelievable. I know that a modern Z06 or even a current base model Vette will run off and leave the old Stingray in a drag race or in the twisties. I've driven them too. But the fun factor? Not even close. If I was going to spend 60 grand on a Vette, it would be a restored 427 Stingray, not a new one!!  Ditto for the "Ponycars." I know that a 2010 V6 Camaro or a 2011 V6 Mustang will outrun a 69 Z/28 or 69 Boss 302 in a drag race. But nothing compares to the feeling of running a high-compression, solid-lifter small-block through the gears at full wail. The new Camaro is a great car. But it feels like exactly what it is- a Cadillac CTS with a cool body. Hemi Chargers feel like a BMW 740i. Fast, and more nimble handling than any 4,000 lb car has a right to. That's because their based on the previous generation Mercedes E55-a benefit of the merger with Daimler-Benz. Ditto for the Challenger. They don't make me feel like Bo Duke, or Kowalski on his last ride through the Nevada desert. My Buddy's 70 440 Road Runner does. The 2006 GTO I drove didn't give me the rush my Judge did, even though it was probably faster. It's. like the Harley riders say- If I have to explain it, you won't understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment