Thursday, May 17, 2012

Know what your selling!!!

There's nothing more frustrating than talking to someone who not only doesn't know anything about the car their trying to sell, but has a flippant and arrogant attitude. This seems to be rampant among the general public. Some of my customers ask me to verify vin information or options on cars they potentially want to buy, and I try to help, because my dad and I will usually get some restoration work out of it. Here's some conversations I've had with people wanting BIG dollars for a car.  "I was calling about the 1968 Chevelle Malibu." "Which engine does it have?"  "A small-block Chevy."  "Is it a 307, a 327 or a 350?"  "How would I know?"  "There's usually a sticker on the radiator support or the valve covers." "The valve covers say Target Master 350." "So it doesn't have the original engine."  "How do you know?" "The target master was a service replacement engine sold by dealers in the '80's and '90's." "They didn't have target masters in 1968."  "Which transmission does it have?" "An automatic." "Do you know if it's a Powerglide or a Turbo 350?" "How do you tell that?" "One's a two-speed transmission and the other's a three-speed." "I SAID it's an automatic!" "The Powerglide and the TH350 are both automatics, one's a two-speed and one's a three speed." "The three speed is better." "WELL, You obviously know more than I do."  "Obviously."  Click.  This next one is like a Saturday night live skit. The ad said  "All original, numbers-matching 1965 Corvette Sting Ray." "Do you still have the Corvette for sale?"  "Yes." "Which engine is it?"  "A 427." "Oh., so someone swapped in a 427?" "No, it's the original engine." "The 427 wasn't available until 1966." "If it's a '65 and a big-block and original, it would have to be a 396." "Are your sure?" "I'm sure." "Maybe it's a 327."  "That would be a small-block." "Then it's a 327. It's a small-block." " Do you know which 327?" "There's more than one?" "There's actually 4. "  "There's a 300 hp, a 350 hp, a 365 hp, and a 375 hp with fuel injection." "They had fuel injection in 1965?" "You could get fuel injection on a Corvette as early as 1957, but their rare." "This one's got a carburator." "Great. Is it a Rochester or a Holley." "The carburator?" "Yes." "The carburator's an Edelbrock." "Then it's not original." "Edelbrock carbs weren't introduced until the mid-1980's." "No shit?" "No shit." "What about the trans, is it a Muncie or a Borg-Warner?"  "It's a 4-speed stick." "I know that, but GM used Borg-Warner T10s from 1957-'65, and they used Muncies from 1963-74, so it could have either one." "How could you tell?"  "Do me a favor, look under the hood, and let me know if the head casting number is either 186, 462 or 492."  "Look under the car and tell me if theirs the letters M20, or M21 or T10 on the transmission." "You want me to go out get numbers off the engine and transmission?" "Your asking $42,000 for the car, I don't think that's unreasonable." "Especially since you advertised it as numbers-matching, all original, and we've already ascertained that it doesn't have the original carb."  "Fine. Give me your number. I'll call you back."  He never called back.  This is what you get more often than not. They want thousands of dollars for an old car, and they act all exasperated when you ask them to verify if it's actually worth what their asking!!  The balls of some people-wanting to know if a car that's priced in the stratosphere is right or not!  Mastermind      

No comments:

Post a Comment