Saturday, September 1, 2012

How can you be offended by a fake??!!

I was talking with a guy the other day at work, just bench racing and talking about cars we'd owned in the past or would like to own in the future. I mentioned that Factory Five Racing makes an excellent Shelby 427 Cobra replica kit car that's a screaming bargain. For $19,995 you get everything except an engine and transmission. Even if you bought a $4,000 crate motor and a $2,000 transmission, you could build one for around 25K very easily.  Their designed to use 1986-2004 V8 Mustang parts, but you can also ask that they drill the frame to accept small-block Chevy motor mounts, and GM trannys like a T10, Muncie or TH350, and they'll accomodate that option at no charge. To me this is just good business sense, because millions of hot-rodders have SBC's laying around their garage, and many just prefer it for any project they build. They'll sell a lot more cars by accomodating the Chevy AND Ford small-blocks than they would if it only fit Fords. Anyhow, when I off-handedly commented that a Cobra kit car would be ungodly fast with the ZZ4 350 crate motor that I have, since the quoted five second 0-60 times were with a stock 225 hp 302 out of an '89 Mustang, and the ZZ4 is rated at 355 hp by GMPP. That extra 130 hp should cut quite a bit off the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. This guy went ballistic,-shouting that no one should ever build such a "Bastard" car, and that Cobras should be all Ford. When I pointed out that there were other companies besides Factory Five that have been building them for 30 years, and that there were thousands of Cobra replicas on the road and that a lot of them did in fact have small-block Chevys under the bonnet, he became even more spittingly hysterical. "How can you desecrate a classic?"  "What classic?"  I responded- "No one is putting Chevy engines numbers-matching Cobras-These are KIT CARS!!".  There a fake to begin with!!  By your reasoning-even the 5.0 Mustang powertrain is an abomination-they should all be built with side-oiler 427FEs!!!  "I'm not saying that, I'm just saying they should be built with all Ford parts!"  he said, backpedaling a little. "I don't get your reasoning." I said. "I could even see you saying that a '32 Ford coupe should have a flathead, or at least a modern Ford V8 like a 289 / 302, rather than a Chevy, because it is in it;s own way-a hot rod classic icon."  "No would want a '55 Chevy with a Ford engine in it."  "I get that."  "But this is a fiberglass replica of a car that went out of production 45 years ago." "Who cares what's under the hood?" People sold Avantis for 40 years after they went out of production, and no one screamed that they weren't using real Studebaker engines." "You can buy Porsche 356 and 550 replicas that use a VW chassis and powertrain-no one's railing that their "Bastardized" because they don't have Porsche engines."  "You don't understand!" he wailed. "I understand perfectly" "If we were talking about a REAL car."  "I get pissed off every time I see a Chevy LS motor in a '60's GTO or a '70's Firebird." "But the Cobra is a fake to begin with."  "If some guy starts selling Batmobile Clones based on '70's Cadillac frames are you going to scream blasphemy because the George Barris original was based on a Lincoln platform?"  "Are we going to argue about what is and isn't correct for a freaking Batmobile copy?"  Puhleeze.  He walked off in a huff, and didn't speak to me the rest of the day, which I took as no great loss. I still don't understand his outrage, though.  Anyone else pissed because people put 350 Chevys in Cobra Kit Cars?   Mastermind             

No comments:

Post a Comment