Saturday, September 8, 2012

I thought the F&F movies were entertaining too....But I don't get young people's fascination with econoboxes as hot rods!!

I was talking with a young guy the other day and he was telling me that he was going to buy a "really fast car" and that he couldn't decide between a Ford Focus SVT or a Mazda Speed 3. I've driven them and they are fun little pocket rockets. However-like I told him-if you want to go really fast don't buy a Focus-get a Mustang. The base-model Mustang starts at 22K-cheaper than the hot-rod Focus and has a 305 hp V6 that pushes it to 13.9 second 1/4 mile times. That's right-a V6 that runs in the thirteens. Or if he wanted to be really badass-he could get a GT. They start at 29 grand and have 412 hp, and run 12.70's off the showroom floor according to Car and Driver. And in testing-a Mustang GT beat a BMW M3 around Willow Springs raceway. The front-wheel drive, 263hp Mazda Speed 3 rice rocket can't come close to that. Nor can the Subaru WRX STI or Mitsubishi EVO, both of which cost around 35K. For sheer bang-for-the-buck a new Mustang is just about impossible to beat. I also suggested a new Camaro as a close 2nd to the 'Stang. The base model starts at 23K and it's 323 hp V6 pushes it to 60 mph in 5.7 seconds and through the 1/4 in about 14 flat. For around 30K, the SS model has 426 hp and runs very low 13s or very high 12s depending on which magazine road test your quoting. I'm not bashing Japanese cars-I'm just stating a fact-the American "Pony" cars are both cheaper AND faster than anything the Japanese have to offer. Yes, the Nissan 370Z runs blistering 5 second 0-60 times and low 13 second 1/4s but they start at about 36 grand-a good 6-7 thousand MORE than a Mustang GT or Camaro SS. "Maybe I'll get a used car." He replied. "A friend has a Mazda RX8 that he wants to sell."  "Those are great fun if you want a go-kart for the street." I said. "They have a slick-shifting trans, and the motor will rev to 9 grand." "Their a lot of fun to play Ricky Roadracer in, but their not that fast."  "What do you mean?" the kid asked. "They only weigh about 2,600 lbs, so the little 232 hp motor ( 197 with an automatic ) moves them pretty good." "But they only do mid-six-second 0-60 times, and like a 14.7 or 15.0 in the 1/4." "A V6 Honda Accord sedan or a V6 Camry does that, according to Road&Track." "I'd hate to pop the clutch, rev to nine grand,shifting like a fiend, and then see the taillights of the Camry driven by a soccer mom in the next lane." "That would be pretty humiliating actually."  "Your just old-school, you can't get into the new cars." He said. "No."  I replied. "If a Focus or Mazda 3 could run 12 second 1/4's and beat an M3 around Willow Springs, and cost the same or less than the Mustang, I'd say buy it."  "The WRX's are great, but they cost well over 30 grand."  "More than a Camaro SS or a Mustang GT and they aren't as fast." "If you want a high-performance car, why would you pay MORE money for a car that doesn't go nearly as fast."  "If I was a millionaire and going to spend 150K on a sports car I'd buy a Ferrari F430 instead of an Aston Martin Vantage or DB9." "Why?" Because the Ferrari is substantially faster."  "Don't buy a half-ass performance car based on an econobox that can't outrun a Honda Accord." "If you want to go fast, buy something that goes fast." "Maybe I'll just build a Honda Civic." he said. "Why?" I asked. "Buy a 2005 and later Mustang, put nitrous on it, and you'd be almost untouchable." "What is the fascination with econoboxes?" "You old guys modified your musclecars." he said. "Yeah, but a '68 GTO is a fast car to begin with. " I replied. "No one walked into a Ford dealer in say 1971 and walked between a 429SCJ Torino and a Boss 351 Mustang and told the salesman-"I want to go really fast." "Show me a Pinto." He had to laugh at that. "I see what your saying-he said." "I just don't see myself as Vin Diesel in that big bad Charger, or that badass Chevelle." "So your Paul Walker in a rice-rocket?"  I joked. "I guess so." "I guess I'm the Diesel type." I said-"Next time you see me I'll either be driving a '73 Hurst Olds, or a '70s vintage Trans-Am." "I can see you in those." "Your definitely the Vin Diesel musclecar type." I guess I should take that as a compliment. But for the life of me I can't see why he'd lust after a Focus. Mastermind                                   

No comments:

Post a Comment