Friday, May 31, 2013

Hollywood has no imagination.....

Fast & Furious 6 is out in theatres. My son wants to see it to I'll probably go this weekend. Vin Diesel, Paul Walker and the Rock all return and they added MMA fighter Gina Carano ( "Haywire" ) and brought back Michelle Rodriguez so they'll have some major action I'm assuming. We can hope that Jordana Brewster or Gina Carano gets naked-but that's probably too much to ask. The last time this series had any sex appeal was four pictures ago when we got the smokin' hot Eva Mendes in a white bikini for a few minutes. ( I love dark women in white ). Maybe we'll at least get to see Carano put a sleeperhold on Michelle Rodriguez and choke the annoying bitch out. I never liked her character anyway. They also have Diesel driving yet another '68-70 Charger-how many have they wrecked-3 or 4 now? This one has a Daytona / Superbird front end on it. Any how-it looks like a re-hash of the other movies but who knows-the stunt work may be good.  Any how want to talk about not having any imagination-I read in a magazine that people have been offering Chad McQueen big bucks to do a remake of "Bullitt". If you don't know-he's the legendary Steve McQueen's son and he dabbled in acting in the '80's and '90's. He was one of the bullies in the original "Karate Kid" ( the classic with Pat Morita and Ralph Macchio, not the horrid remake with Jackie Chan and Will Smith's brat ) and he did some cool martial-arts movies with Cynthia Rothrock. Anyhow-I have great respect for him-he refused and explained why. He said- #1 you won't be able to top the legendary classic-I didn't like the "True Grit" remake-you can't top John Wayne in his prime and you can't top Steve McQueen. I loved my father and he was good to me my whole life-I got to go to France with him while he was filming "LeMans" I don't have daddy issues or anything-I'm just not going to open myself to the derision that the press would have for it. No one's asking Kyle Eastwood to re-do "Dirty Harry". "I personally like Jason Statham-but "The Mechanic" with him and Ben Foster didn't come close to the original with Charles Bronson and Jan-Micheal Vincent." "Robert DeNiro was nowhere near as scary a Max Cady as Robert Mitchum in the "Cape Fear" movies and Mitchum couldn't even say the "F" word." ( In the 1962 original ). Hollywood needs to get some new Ideas."  "I said I'd do an action movie about a badass "Dirty Harry' type detective-I've got the martial-arts background-my dad was taught by Bruce Lee- I can do just about anything that Chuck Norris or Steven Seagal or Jean-Claude Van Damme can do-and I'm younger than them." "And the McQuuen name will sell tickets, I realize that." "But were not going to call him Frank Bullitt." "Guess what?" "That was the deal breaker." "Millions to rip off my father's masterpiece and get crucified for doing it, or zero if I want to call him John Smith." "I don't need the money-so I'll take the zero."  What a smart guy who didn't sell out. I love the "Jack Reacher" books by Lee Child. In the books Reacher is 6'5" and 270 lbs. Hmm. Dwayne "The Rock" Johnsons? "Stone Cold" Steve Austin? Dolph Lundgren? I know-Tom Cruise!! Who's 5' 8" and about as threatening as a golden retriever puppy. Puhleeze. The same with "Shooter" that was based on Stephen Hunter's classic "Point of Impact". Mark Wahlberg is a good actor-but he's not "Bob Lee Swagger". Who was a Vietnam Vet and a master sniper-based on Carl Hitchcock-a real-life Marine Sniper and war hero who served in 'Nam.. The book was set in 1992 when Bob Lee Swagger would have been 46 years old. They couldn't get Tommy Lee Jones or Chuck Norris or Fred Dryer ( "Hunter", "Death Before Dishonor" ) or a myriad of other actors who are old enough to have been to Viet Nam? They have to change it and make him a "Desert Storm" vet???!!!  I had friends in Desert Storm-the Iraqis would surrender if you'd give them a bowl of Cheerios!!  "We have not eaten in three days-feed us and we will renounce Saddam." Not the same combat background!!  Ugh!  Let's hope someone listened to Chad McQueen and comes up with some original ideas. I published a book a few years ago under a pen name. "Men of Steel" by Shane Collins. My garndfather was a union organizer in the '40's and he worked with Jimmy Hoffa and Harry Bridges and other famous people. It's the story of his life, and how the mob got involved in the unions. A book reviewer called it "Roots", "Goodfellas" and "Walking Tall" all rolled into one. Hear that Mr. Spielberg? or Mr. Tarantino?  Mastermind            

No comments:

Post a Comment