Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Is everyone crazy?

As you all know, I've had my Hurst / Olds advertised for sale. I can't believe some of the inquiries I've had.  No, I don't want to trade for your motorcycle, boat or pair of Jet-Skis!!!  No I don't want your Jeep Cherokee or Honda Accord. No, I don't want your 1968 383, automatic, bench seat, drum-braked Road Runner. Yeah, that's a good move-Let me trade my one of 1,097 ever made GM Musclecar that I can't sell for a one of 45,000 Chrysler Musclecars that I can't sell. I need money-not another car. The other ones I love-are "Why are you selling it?"  Who gives a shit WHY I'm selling it-do you want it or not?  Or my personal favorite-"It needs a paint job and a vynil top." Duh!!! If it was a pristine show car I'd be asking $20,000 instead of $8,500!!!  When people are asking $25,000 for 403 Olds powered Disco era T/A's, if I can't get 8 grand for a numbers-matching Hurst / Olds that's been featured in Popular Hot Rodding, and has the numbers-matching 455, a rust-free body, and the original owner's manual and spare, and a ZZ4 Chevy crate motor, then I'll set it on fire. But like they say- I guess you have to kiss a lot of frogs before you meet the prince. I've been through this before selling beaters. A $500 '80's Monte Carlo. You get the call- "What kind of shape is it in?" "It's a piece of shit that starts and runs." "What do you think it is for $500?" You can't buy a good 1/4 panel for $500!!  Ugh. Just had to vent that.  Mastermind        

1 comment:

  1. I have to disagree with you about one thing. I *always* ask a seller why they are selling a car or bike before I'll even look at it in person. There are lots of people out there selling cars that are lemons and headaches. Also, sometimes if a person is selling because they need money it can indicate that they also didn't have the money to maintain the car well. On the opposite end, I'm more likely to buy a car that someone is selling to fund a new project. That tells me that the seller is probably a "car guy" that has some automotive knowledge and skill. These are not hard and fast rules, but you can often tell a lot about a person from the answers they give to these types of questions.

    ReplyDelete