Monday, August 3, 2015

Some Fords I'd like to have.....

I've said many times that I'm primarily a Pontiac guy-I've had GTOs, Trans-Ams, LeMans, Gran Prix's and Venturas. I've also had my Hurst / Olds and an SS396 El Camino over the years. The only Fords I ever owned were a 1966 Mustang GT and a 1982 Mustang GT that I bought and then re-sold for a quick, tidy profit. I never really owned any for a driver ( Other than a couple of '90's Ford F150 pickups, but I'm talking Musclecars.). Not that I had anything against Fords-my dad was a GM guy, and so was I. However-there's a few Fords that I'd like to have-that are actually attainable-I'm not going to waste my time or yours musing about a 427 Cobra or Boss 429-without a Megabucks or Powerball win that's not happening. Anyhow here's some Fords that I think are really cool-and that I may be able to buy someday on my middle-class income. # 1. 1965-66 Galaxie 2dr. These have cool semi-fastback styling very similar to a '65 Pontiac which I always loved. They also have great interiors-buckets seats, an awesome chrome console and most have 390 cubes under the hood. My mom had one when I was a little kid-it was green with Torq-Thrust mags. I always thought it was a cool ride.  # 2. 1967-68 Mercury Cougar. These cars classic styling still turns heads today 47 years later. I personally think these are the best-looking cars Ford ever built. And the good thing about Cougars-is they usually have upgraded interiors and cool options like factory air and front disc brakes-as opposed to most Mustangs being strippys. I'd even take a 289 model. I'd be torn between restoring it factory stock as a nice driver-or putting a snarling 347 stroker in it, with some Mini-Lite wheels  and making it a badass Trans-Am tribute car. Maybe I should get two....# 3. 1967-69 Thunderbird. These have cool hidden headlight styling, luxurious interiors, and 390 or 428 cubes under their long hoods. Dynamite cruisers in my book.  # 4. 1970-71 Thunderbird. These had cool Nascar-inspired fastback styling, and 429 cubes under the hood. This was about the time that American car builders started to care about handling-so for a big car they actually handled pretty good. And did I mention a 375 hp 429?  # 5. 1972-73 Mercury Montego GT. These were based on the new for '72 Gran Torino chassis. I think their way better looking than their Torino cousins. David Pearson won a bunch of Nascar races in one for the Wood Brothers. I could dream of one with a 429, and settle for one with a 351C.  # 6. 1977-79 Ranchero. These were based on the new for '77 LTD II chassis-which made them longer, lower,wider, and much roomier than the '70-76 Torino based model. Most had 351 / 400M motivation, but I'd look for a 460 model to warm over and torture all those smug big-block El Camino owners with. Maybe my next project will be a blue oval....Mastermind

No comments:

Post a Comment