Monday, October 19, 2015

Blasphemy most foul...Continued......

Here's what I love about the Worldwide web-If something early in a post rubs you the wrong way-stop reading and vent your anger immediately. Use profanity so we know you mean business. If the writer responds with irrefutable proof that you are wrong- by citing a sentence or paragraph you failed to read-you are under no obligation to apologize for your outburst. Anyhow-as you might have surmised-I got a bunch of flak about the last post and "Completely Reversing" my position on the modification / restification of classics. If you've followed this blog for any length of time or seen any of my articles in PHR or MCR-you know I just re-affirmed my usual position. I have said the same thing for years until I'm blue in the face-But let me clarify my position once again. The Shelby Mustang I was bitching about is a perfect case in point. Why couldn't the builder have bought one of the hundreds of thousands of generic 289 powered '67-68 Mustangs that no one cares about and put in a 347 Stroker, a Tremec Five-speed, a Global West Suspension, Wildwood disc brakes etc. He could have even bought the body pieces from Tony Branda and cloned a GT350. But no-you had to butcher a for-real, rare numbers-matching Shelby GT350. That's like the asshole who took a one of 458 ever built 455HO / 4-speed 1972 Trans-Am an completely butchered the body interior and suspension and then put an LS motor in it. He couldn't buy one of the 68,000 '77 models, 93,000 '78 T/A's, or 117,000 '79 models out there and do that?  Or any of the millions of 1970-81 Formula, Esprit, and base-model Firebirds? No it had to be one of the rarest-except for a '73 SD455 model ( 252 built ) or a '70 RAIV model ( 88 built ). Like I've said a million times before-I don't care if someone buys a beater Tempest or Malibu and puts a 572 Rat Motor or blown LS motor in it-have fun. But when they do it to a Numbers-Matching Judge, or a for-real SS396 or SS454 model-it drives me up the wall. Chevrolet built 220,906 Camaros in 1967. So why did some idiot with more money than brains have to put an LS motor and a six-speed into one of the few remaining 602 ever built Z/28's???!!!!!  Do you see a common thread here?  If you want to put a tunnel-rammed Rat Motor, a Lenco 4-speed and a full tubbed rear suspension to "Pro Street" one of the 190,000 generic '68 Cutlass / F85 models out there, no one cares. Just don't do it to one of the 515 Hurst / Olds models!!!!   And again-a pristine Boss 351 Mach 1 isn't "ruined" because it has a Holley or an Edelbrock carb on it instead of the god-awful Autolite 4300, and Z-Rated tires instead of bias-ply Coker Polyglas GT repros!!!  Is everyone clear on my position now??  Just had to vent that. Mastermind
    

No comments:

Post a Comment