Monday, December 21, 2015

An F14 fighter jet is an airplane....But it's not something you'd fly 100 people to Hawaii in...

Got a bunch of the usual flack about the post stating that 7 and 8 second cars weren't street machines, but race cars with liscence plates. "Go buy a Camry you pussy if you want a smooth idle."  Real adult stuff like that. Anyhow-I'm here to say that I personally and my friends have had some badass rides. My GTO had 12:1 compression, a cam with 337 duration and .575 lift, two 750 AFBs on an Offenhauser dual-quad manifold,Hooker headers and it was backed by a Rock-Crusher 4-speed and a 12-bolt posi rear with 4.33:1 gears and Lakewood ladder bars. Rear tires were Hot-n-Sticky N50X15 Mickey Thompsons. I had an 11.79 time slip from a strip in California. Yes, it was brutally quick. Yes, I loved it.  It also got 5-8 mpg while needing two cans of octane booster per tankful and the motor buzzing at 4,000 rpm on the freeway didn't really make for a nice commute to work. My '73 Hurst / Olds and my '77 Trans-Am weren't nearly as fast but they were a lot easier to drive on a daily basis. A friend had a Cobra Replica with a blown big-block Chevy in it. It was ungodly fast-the first time he ran it on the track it ran something like 9.90 in the 1/4-( 500+hp in a 2,300 lb body will do that ) and he got kicked off the track for not having a full cage and a driveshaft safety loop-which most tracks require on anything quicker than 11.50. However-it oveheated if it idled for more than two minutes, you had to crane your neck to the left to see around the blower to drive, driver's and passengers alike burned their legs on the sidepipes getting in and out, and about every fifth run the Jag rear end would spit out a half-shaft and it would have to be towed home. As this demonstrates-anything is drivable depending on what the driver is willing to tolerate. But to qualify as a "Street Machine" like I said in the previous post-you ought to be able to drive 150 miles without stopping for gas,enter or exit a sloping driveway without denting the oil pan or the exhaust system,idle in 90 degree heat for ten minutes without overheating and drive 10 mph over the posted speed limit on a curvy road in the rain. You know things that a 15 year old Honda Accord or a 20 year old Buick LeSabre can do!!  If you want to drive some fire-breathing monster go ahead. But don't try to convince the rest of us that it's as comfortable a daily driver as your neighbor's Chrysler 300.  Mastermind

1 comment:

  1. Hey MCM,

    I couldn't agree with you more. I have a 71 vette with a zz454, Edelbrock Air Gap Performer Intake, custom grind Comp Cams camshaft, hydraulic roller lifters, Hooker Headers and side pipes, 3.77 gears with MT Drag Radials on the back. I get nervous sitting in Long Island traffic in the summer months because I can't take my eyes off the water temp guage as the red arrow goes up from 180ish to 200 towards 205+. It hasn't overheated because the very few times I have been stuck in parking lot-like traffic, I get off as soon as I can and take the long way home. What do you make of this HOT ROD Drag Week?
    Paul

    ReplyDelete