Wednesday, December 2, 2015

"Period Correct" Or "Proper Date Coded"....Still isn't original!!!!.......

I see a disturbing trend in the sales of high-end musclecars. By high-end-I mean stuff  that people want over $100,000 for. That's right-the price of a house anywhere but New York or California and it's not original!!. I mentioned in a earlier post that I saw a Shelby Mustang that was for sale for $140,000 and had a "date correct" Police Interceptor engine in it. What that means is the original owner probably put a rod through the side of the block around 1974 and it's been through several Ford engines since-and when this last guy decided to restore it he managed to find a 428 out of an old cop car. This is isn't an isolated example. I've seen several Hemi powered Road Runners, Chargers, and Challengers selling for $80,000 on up. Except their not original Hemi cars. Their 318 or 383 models that someone stuffed a Mopar Performance Crate Hemi in. I saw a '57 Chevy Bel Air that was very nicely done and was selling for $99,000. Yep. Another one for 100K. And it was proudly stated that it had a "period correct" T10 4-speed trans and 283 V8. Except it wasn't "period correct".  Period Correct would be with 1957 date codes. The engine and the trans had 1964 date codes!!  I saw a '69 Trans-Am Convertible for sale for $100,000. Except it's not one of 8 ultra-rare cars. It's a Firebird convertible that someone cloned a T/A out of.  Don't get me wrong-I'm not disparaging the builders or sellers of these cars. They disclosed that the cars weren't original-it's not like their trying to defraud anyone by selling fakes as the real thing. No I'm saying theres way too many people with more money than brains. If I was going to spend six figures on a car-it damn well better be the real deal.  Here's where the term "Buyer Beware" comes into play. Do some research and shop around. If the '69 GTO your buying has a 400 out of a '75 Bonneville in it-that wouldn't be a deal breaker-if the price was under 10 grand. But it should be if someone's selling it for 50 grand!!!!  That's all I'm saying. Mastermind    

No comments:

Post a Comment