Saturday, July 23, 2011

Just buy a late-model musclecar!! Please!!

I've said it before, but it seems the onslaught never stops. Every enthusiast mag on the market, month after month after month has vintage musclecars with modern fuel-injected powertrains. I'm sick of it. Like I said once before if you were a gun collector you wouldn't buy a WWII vintage Colt .45 and put Laser sights on it, and if you were a motorcycle enthusiast you wouldn't buy a 1965 Harley Davidson Sportster and put a Fuel-Injected Twin-Cam out of a 2009 Softail in it. I understand the appeal of the modern fuelie motors-easy cold starting, great fuel economy, reliability and awesome bang for the buck. However, just run the cars they came in!! I see 1987-93 5.0 Mustangs in great condition every day for sale with prices anywhere from $1,500 to $3500!! I see 1993-2002 LT1 and LS1 Camaros and Firebirds for less than $5000 in any state in the union.  I see 2005-up Hemi Chargers and Chrysler 300s for less than $10,000 every day. I see 1997-2004 Corvettes for 15-20K all day long. Buy one of these and play with it to your heart's content. Put a blower on it, Nitrous, whatever you want. I'm considering buying a "5.0" to play with, and I'm not a Ford guy! But the cars and parts are so damn cheap, and my teenage son wants to run a car at our local strip. Great father / son project! But please guys, stop with the Fuelie swaps into Numbers-matching Judges, SS Chevelles, and Chargers and Road Runners. You want something old because it's different from what's new. I swear on a stack of bibles that if I hit the lottery and have 100 grand to spend on a Vette, I will not buy a ZR1 or Z06 new one, it's going to be a restored L88 427 model!!  Yes, I know the new ones are faster in the 1/4 and the twisties. But they don't sound like a 12:1 compression, solid lifter rat, and they don't feel like a balls out, badass. Their too refined, and have too many electronic nannies. Let me kill myself! I don't need traction control! I've driven New Challengers and I've driven Old ones. The new ones make me feel like I'm driving a BMW 5 series, not Like Kowalski on his last ride through the Nevada desert!! Let's start a magazine and call it Modern Fuelie Swap Monthly. Then Hot Rod, Car Craft, and Popular Hot Rodding can go back to covering everything else! Just had to vent that. Mastermind    

No comments:

Post a Comment