Friday, March 30, 2012

No you didn't, Jethro!!!

I've touched on this before, but I've heard so much of it lately that I feel I must revisit it. Nothing is more offensive than some Goober swearing on a stack of bibles that he or his best friend or brother "Had one just like that."  I've demanded that some of these people produce pictures or VIN numbers, or window stickers, or build sheets, anything to see if they really did have the "Moon Rock" that they claim to. And every single one was lying or just stupid and innocently mistaken. The innocently mistaken category usually goes to women. Not to be sexist-but I don't expect any woman-except my mother-who besides being married to my dad had 2 sons, a brother, a son-in-law,and numerous nephews, and grandkids who are all hardcore gearheads,cops,mechanics, racers and car restorers-to know what a Yenko Camaro, or a "Macho T/A" is, or what the letters "L82", "LT-1" or "L88" mean on a Corvette. For example, the nice lady that swore she had a car "Just Like" the one on the Don Johnson cop show "Nash Bridges".  Johnsons character had a 1971, 4-speed, Hemi Cuda convertible. She did have an orange Barracuda drop-top with white inteiror, but it was a 318 / Automatic!!  Not quite the same thing !!!  I'll also forgive the sexy 50 something Cougar that told me she had a Mustang that she bought brand-new that was  "Just Like" my neighbor's Boss 302. She showed me the car-it was a Hugger Orange fastback with black stripes and factory rear window louvers and Magnum 500 wheels, but it was a Mach 1 with a 351C, not a Boss 302. In her defense, the striping looks awfully close.  However, I do NOT forgive the Yahoo who swore he had one "Just Like" my one of 1,097 ever built 1973 Hurst / Olds, and produced a picture of a two-door 1977 Cutlasss Supreme. Not only was it the wrong year, It wasn't even a 442, much less an H/O!!  Or the clown that swore he had an El Camino "Exactly" like the one my buddy had. Except my pal's was a 4-speed, disc-braked, air-conditioned SS396 with the"Cowl Induction" hood. The idiot's was silver with a black vinyl top, but the similarity ended there.  His was a 307 / automatic with 4-wheel drum brakes,the flat hood, no guages and no a/c. Yeah, twins. The ultimate moron, however said he had a car "Just like" my friends ultra-rare L69 tri-power, 1966 Olds 442. Except his was a convertible! We waited a half-hour for this clown to drive home and bring his car back to the Hot August Nights event we were at, becuase while there are 1966 442 convertibles, neither of us had ever seen or heard of an L69 convertible, or seen a build sheet on one, or one featured in a magazine. The few documented examples, are all hardtops like my pals. This putz shows up in a 1967 Buick Skylark convertible with a 340 / Super Turbine 300 ( Read Powerglide ) drive train!! Not only was it the wrong year, and NOT a tri-power 442, it wasn't even an Oldsmobile!!!  So please, next time you see a Hemi Super Bee, or a pristine Ram Air IV Judge, please don't tell the owner that you had one just like it, just because you had a Purple 318 Coronet, or an orange LeMans!!  The guy may snap and pull Patrick Swayze's "Roadhouse" move-( Break your adam's apple and watch you choke to death on your own blood.)  Or he'll at least want to. Mastermind         

No comments:

Post a Comment