Monday, March 4, 2013

A "Too Valuable" Duster?? I don't think so!!

Had an interesting conversation the other day at a gas station. I was gassing up the Hurst / Olds and as usual it drew a crowd. The one guy said-incredulously-"You drive that car?" "Obviously." I replied. "If I wanted one to look at I'd have bought the Franklin Mint model for $89.95." "If I had that car I wouldn't drivc it." He said. "Then what would be the point of having it?" I asked. "I don't drive it in rain or snow." "But once in a while on a nice day I like to lay some rubber down or give the little boys in their rice-rockets a history lesson." He was even more incredulous. "You smoke the tires and drag race it?" I was getting annoyed. "Why else would you have a car with a loud two-tone paint job, fat tires, a 455 V8, and a high-stall torque converter?" "Because you wanted to drive the speed limit at all times?" Another idiot piped in. "I agree with him". This clown proceded to tell me how he rarely drives his '73 Cougar convertible even in the summertime because he's afraid of it getting wrecked. "Are you kidding me?" I said. "Why would you have a convertible anything and NOT drive it on nice sunny days?" "And, not to insult you, a '73 Cougar convertible is certainly a nice, rare car, but its not a Boss 429 or a Hemi 'Cuda." "It's worth what-30 grand, not $300,000." "And you can buy classic car insurance that will cover the market value of the car as long as you don't put more than 5,000 miles a year on it." "I can understand you maybe not drag-racing it because you don't want to maybe throw a rod out the side of a numbers-matching block, but I'd definitely take it for a cruise around Lake Tahoe or to the Wine Country once in a while." His buddy piped in-"I understand." He proceded to explain how he didn't care if his wife plowed their $50,000 Lexus SUV into a fence talking on her cell-phone during the last snowstorm, but he didn't drive his 340 Duster to work once in a while because it was "Too Valuable" to chance it getting parking lot dings in his employee parking garage. I just gave up and did a large, smoky burnout as I left, and watched them shaking their heads in disgust in the mirror. I also tooted my horn and flipped them off as I went by. Childish, I know, but I was offended. Where do these guys get their balls big enough to walk up to another man and tell him he's stupid for driving his own car? And a Duster is "too valuable" to drive?  What do teens text?-LOL and ROTF? Yes-Laughing out loud and rolling on the floor! Guys, cars were meant to be driven. I have a cousin that gets the same crap over his '67 Firebird convertible every summer. "You drive that car?" "Yes." "That's why I bought it." And he proceeds to explain that even though he loves it it's a 326 model that he swapped a 400 into, not a one of eight '69 Trans Am drop-top! To no avail-these "I can't believe you drive that" types are like a cult. You can't reason with them. Don't get me wrong, I'd be very careful if I had say-one of the 1,603 1969 Boss 302 Mustangs. But one of the 70,000+ garden-variety sportsroof '69 Mustangs with a "regular" 302 or a 351W? Like the cliche' "I'd drive it like I stole it." What's next? A Maverick that's too valuable to drive? Or a Vega? Just because it's old doesn't mean it's cool or valuable. Get over yourselves, people. Mastermind         

No comments:

Post a Comment