Wednesday, June 26, 2013

An act of Chivalry.......From the "Snowman"......

Saw an uplifting letter in "High Performance Pontiac" magazine. A guy recounted a story from his childhood. Back in 1979-when he was six years old-and of course a "Dukes of Hazzard" fan, and a fan of the now classic "Smokey and the Bandit"-he and his mother got a flat tire on a country road in Tennessee. A black Trans-Am pulled up behind them and a tall man in a cowboy hat got out and asked if they needed help. The man graciously pulled the spare out of the lady's trunk and changed the tire for her. The lady recognized the man, who affirmed he was in fact Country music legend and actor Jerry Reed. They chatted while he changed the tire, and Jerry said his friend and movie cohort Burt Reynolds had got him hooked on T/A's while filming the first "Bandit", and he bought one because they were so much fun to drive on curvy roads like they were on. He said they were planning a second "Bandit" movie. The lady thanked him for his kindness, and asked for one more favor-If he'd meet her son and give him an autograph. Jerry laughed and said of course-that most people asked him if he could get Burt's autograph for them. The little boy was thrilled,and reverently asked "Are you the Bandit?"  When he said "No, I'm the Snowman." The little boy asked "Why are you driving the Bandit's car?" "Did you lose your truck?" "See what I mean?"  Jerry said-and he and the boys mother laughed until they cried. The guy said his mother told that story for years until she died, and that he got a great laugh telling it at her funeral. He said it was sad that more celebrities weren't as down-to earth as Jerry Reed, who sadly has left us.  While I agree that some celebrities are jerks, a lot of them are nice people who do take the time to be gracious and talk to fans or sign an autograph. I can boast that I've been slapped by Chuck Norris. Back in 1981 when I was a 19 year old Golden Gloves boxer in San Francisco, Chuck Norris was in town filming "An Eye for an Eye". The guy who owned the boxing gym I worked out at was also a stuntman who was working on the movie, and he asked Chuck to stop by. Chuck and his brother Aaron, who was stunt coordinator on the film, dropped by one day. Chuck was a great guy who signed autographs for everyone and told jokes with everyone there for more than an hour. I asked Chuck for some boxing advice. He watched me work the heavy bag. "Your dropping your left after jabbing." he said. "I am?" "I don't think so." ( Typical 19 year old-knows everything and-argues with a martial-arts legend. ) I continued working the bag.  Smack!" a right across the face. Stung, I asked "Why'd you do that?" "I told you, your dropping your right." "Keep going."  I went two more rounds, and after a few more slaps, I learned quickly. I didn't get slapped at all in the third round.  We shook hands and I said-"I never thought I'd thank someone for slapping me, but thanks for the advice." He laughed and said-"Now You can brag and say Chuck Norris hit me 3 times when I wasn't looking and I didn't fall down."  "Yeah!" "Thanks. again." and  We shook hands again. What a cool guy. Anyhow, I thought it was a nice and amusing story about Jerry Reed helping out a stranded motorist. Mastermind                    

No comments:

Post a Comment