Monday, August 19, 2013

Blasphemy most foul!!

Went with my son to a local U-Pull-It junkyard today to try to find some trim pieces for his 2002 Lincoln LS. In the Ford section there were a lot of  Tauruses, late-model Mustangs, Cougars, Crown Vics, some Lincoln Town Cars, and MK VIII's, but no LS models. Then, I was horrified. Smack-dab in the middle of miles of '80's,'90's and 2000-up clunkers and wrecks sat a 2 dr 1967 Thunderbird. The body was absolutely straight and rust-free, although the paint was oxidized. The grille and taillight panel were intact, and the interior was perfect. The seats weren't even ripped. And, it had a 428 under the hood! Some vultures had taken the A/C compressor and the carburator off the engine, and stolen the steering wheel, but otherwise the car was all there!!  Now who in the hell junked this car??? I know the junkyard didn't pay more than $500 for it, and in the condition it was in, it could have sold for $5,000!! Even a clueless old lady would know this car didn't belong in a scrapyard. I'm not even a Ford guy, and I'm going to go back tomorrow and see if I can buy it and save it from the crusher or being picked apart by people looking for bits and pieces. We've got to stop tragedies like this from happening. If one of your neighbors is thinking about junking a classic, don't let them. Offer him $100 more than the junkyard is. Save the dinosaurs! Mastermind  

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. The junkyard owner / manager was a moron. I inquired about buying the T-Bird and he said they only part stuff out, they don't sell complete cars. I said I had a friend that owned another scrapyard, and I knew for a fact that they only pay $200-$250 per ton for cars, because they can get that for crushing them. That means they couldn't possibly have more than $500 in this car. I asked him hypothetically-"If I offered you $5,000 cash for this you wouldn't sell it to me?" "No, that's not our company policy." What an asshole. Anyhow that's what happened.

      Delete