Thursday, March 16, 2017

Ya gotta love the internet....For entertainment value at least!!!

I never got this memo-but somewhere there has to be internet etiquette guidelines that read like this. # 1. If something early in a post rubs you the wrong way, stop reading and vent your anger immediately. # 2. Use profanity so the writer knows you mean business. Racial slurs and homophobic comments will show how intelligent you are. # 3. If the writer responds with proof that you are wrong-i.e.-by citing a sentence or paragraph that you failed to read, you are under no obligation to publicly apologize. This is the internet. You can silently slink away until you decide to pop up again like a noxious weed and spew your hateful venom on someone else.  I say this because some people were apparently mortally offended that I said that under certain conditions-a '66 GTO could beat a '66 Hemi Charger in a drag race, and that a 389 / 400 / 421 / 455 Pontiac was a better STREET engine than a 426 Hemi, or a 427 Ford or a 427 Chevy. I was also "Terminally Stupid" by saying that sometimes "faster" cars can lose to "slower" ones. Well, I feel the need to educate these poor souls. Yes-427 Chevys and Fords and 426 Hemis dominated NASCAR and drag racing in the '60's. Their power-making ability is undisputed. However-If you want to read old road tests-Popular Hot Roddings '69 Hemi Charger road test-they were the people who said the car felt like it was running with one flat tire. It had a Torqueflite and 3.23:1 gears-and they couldn't break out of the 14s. They said it went quicker by keeping it in 2nd till the end of the 1/4, and that it needed more converter and 4.10:1 gears to hit it's full potential!!  Hot Rod tested an L88 '69 Corvette and were disappointed that in ran high 13s-2 seconds from where "It should be". This was their own words. The L88 had a TH400 and 3.36:1 gears. The writer said they griped at the Chevy test fleet-and later tested one with a 4-speed and 4.56:1 gears that ran lows 12s. Bully for them.  4.56:1 gears?? The engine buzzing at 4,000 rpm on the freeway-that makes for a pleasant driving experience!!  The Hemis and the 427s and Boss Nines are great RACING engines, and under full-race conditions, no the Pontiacs can't make anywhere near that power level. Neither can the 390 / 428 Fords, 383 / 440 Mopars, and 400 / 455 Olds V8s!!   But for STREET driving-the smaller heads etc-build massive low-end torque and will run faster in a drag race / "Stoplight Gran Prix " than these monsters-especially with street tires, mild gearing, and full exhaust systems!!  I want to ask these people-are they 12? Do you have a bumper sticker of "Calvin" ( from the comic strip "Calvin&Hobbes" ) pissing on a Chevy or Ford emblem?  I love the guy who said there was absolutely no way that my Judge could have beaten my friend's 440 / Six-Pack Super Bee in a drag race. Really? You don't think that even bone-stock, a car with 366 hp, a 4-speed and 4.33:1 gears, can get a car length or two off the line and hold onto that lead against a car with 390 hp, an automatic and 3.23:1 gears?  What math are you doing? And-here's the kicker- the RAIII 400 in my Judge wans't stock. It had Hooker Headers, a hotter than stock Crane Cam and roller rockers, an Offenhauser dual-quad intake with two AFBs, and it also had Lakewood coil-spring traction bars and N50X15 Mickey Thompson hot-n-sticky "Street Slicks ". And the guy I bought it from had a bunch of 12.01, 12.03, 12.05 timeslips from a dragstrip in California in the glovebox, and the best one was an 11.79!!  So yeah bud, I'm lying-there's no way that car could beat a bone-stock, automatic, 3.23:1 geared Six-Pack Super Bee running on GR70-15 Sears Radials!!  Who the hell am I kidding? Because a Pontiac can't beat a Mopar, ever right?  Ditto for the clown who said I was "Dreaming" when I said I beat a kid in a '67 SS 427 Impala in my dad's '65 2+2.  Because again-a 376 hp ( stock rating ) 421 powered Catalina with Tri-power,ported '67 GTO heads, ( which had 2.11 / 1.77 valves and bigger ports than the 1.96 / 1.66 "Bathtub" heads ) a "744" cam with 1.65:1 rockers, ( upgraded from the "068" cam and 1.5 rockers ) a TH400 with a TransGo shift kit and a 3.90:1 Posi rear-couldn't possibly outrun a bone-stock Quadrajet 390 hp 427 Impala with 3.31:1 gears!!  Because Big-block Chevys rule, and everything else sucks, right?  The best-though was the guy who said I was "Delusional" when I said that I used to beat '80's "5.0" Mustangs and 400, 4-speed 70's T/A's in my 403 Olds / TH350 powered '77 T/A. I've said before that my T/A had headers and a Holley Street Dominator intake,a custom Carb Shop Jetted Q-Jet, upgraded ignition and a TransGo shift kit. I've also said that it would run 14.9s all day, and it's best ever was a 14.78. If you read road tests of 400, 4-speed, WS6 disco-era T/A's-the fastest was  Hot Rod running a 14.61  and the slowest was Road&Track running a 15.62. ( I guess you could include Hot Rod's July 1978 DKM "Macho T/A" that ran a 14.29-but it was modified; this clown was saying stockers would have stomped my ass ) . If you read road tests of  '87-93 "5.0" Mustangs ( enthusiasts agree these are faster than the '83-86 carburated models ) the fastest was a 14.72 and the slowest a 15.29. So me saying my car that ran consistent 14.9s regularly beat these people or gave them a run for the money they'd never forget-is a bald-faced lie. Ok. And of course there's never driver error, right?  Like the guy in the LS6 Chevelle who got beat by my buddies L34 396 Chevelle, because he totally fried his tires all the way through 1st and 2nd, and by the time he caught traction, my pal was too far ahead!!  But again-were lying because there's no possible way a 396 Chevelle can beat a 454 Chevelle, right?  Like I've said so many times, read the WHOLE article, not just snippets, before you start telling someone how wrong they are!!  Mastermind       

No comments:

Post a Comment