Thursday, August 15, 2019

Is a carburator worth $5,000, or $10,000 ?......

I see a phenomenon that I just can't fathom. I saw it again at this year's Hot August  Nights auction. I don't want to call anybody stupid, but I can't think of any other way to describe it.  What I'm talking about is musclecars with 2 bbl carbs from the factory. Their way more plentiful than you think. I have seen a lot of Chargers and Satellites and Coronets with 2 bbl 383s and 400s. And I have seen people pass up these really nice cars and pay more money for one with a 4 bbl that isn't as nice. It's insane. Maybe because they were standard engines or a slight upgrade over a 318 say-they were purchased by older people and were better kept and much less abused than their 4 bbl counterparts. And it's not just a Chrysler thing. I've seen a lot of 1969-73 Mach 1 Mustangs with 2 bbl 351W's and 351C's. Cougars too. I've seen many 289 2 bbl '64-68 Mustangs, and I've seen several 2 bbl 390 models. I've seen many 350 2bbl Cutlasses and Buick Skylarks, and tons of 350 powered LeMans and Firebird models. I've seen quite a few Esprit Firebirds and Luxury LeMans models and Gran Prix's with 2 bbl 400s. I've seen a ton of 2 bbl 350 Camaros, Chevelles and Monte Carlos. A few El Caminos with 2 bbl 400 small-blocks from the factory.   An Edelbrock Performer intake is about $200 for most engines through Jeg's or Summitt and a Holley or Edelbrock carb is about $400. Or it wouldn't be hard to chase down a factory 4 bbl carb and intake off the internet or at a swap meet for most GM , Ford and Chrysler applications. $600 and a couple hrs labor and you have a stunning improvement in performance and drivability. And no one in their right mind is going to say that a carb and intake hurt the value of the car!!  It's crazy but people snub these cars like the plague. I mean I've seen people buy automatics when they wanted a 4-speed, or buy something in a color they hate because it was otherwise a good deal. But a carb and intake? That's a deal breaker! Ugh! The one that killed me was the guy who wanted a '71-73 Mach 1 with two-tone red and black paint and graphics and two-tone red and black interior and Magnum 500 wheels. He finds a '72 Mach 1 with all of that in great shape-and then passes on it because the 351C had a 2 bbl!! He bought a gold '73 model with a 4 bbl that wasn't nearly as nice!!!  Another moron wanted a '70's Formula Firebird with T-tops and yellow and black graphics. He finds one in that exact color combination with T-Tops, and a 350 and a 4-speed!!-and passes on it in favor of gold hardtop 400 / TH350 model-because you guessed it-the 350 had a 2 bbl!!!  Like Ron White says "You can't fix stupid".  Anybody have an explanation for this?  I can't think that a carburator makes that much difference!!  Mastermind     

2 comments:

  1. Don't all those 2 BBL engine cars have a single exhaust? A muscle car with a single exhaust? (Roll-Eyes)

    So it's not just changing out the 2BBL intake/carb for a 4BBL. You have to change out the exhaust system too. How much? Maybe another $400 to $600?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't consider a '69 Mustang with a 390 or a '72 Charger or Firebird with a 400 V8 a musclecar? Almost all of the '69-73 Mach 1 Mustangs I have seen with 2bbl 351W / 351C's had dual exhausts from the factory. As did a lot of Formula 350 Firebirds. The 4bbl carb and intake will offer a great performance increase even with single ehxausts. Certainly duals would add even more power, but it's not mandatory. Quite a few 1970-74 Non-SS Chevelles, Camaros and Monte Carlos had 4bbl 350s and single exhausts from the factory,and a lot of 1969-74 Gran Prix's had 400 4bbl V8's with single exhausts. I really can't see someone putting a Performer intake and a Thunder AVS carb on a '68 383 Charger and NOT adding dual exhausts if the car didn't already have it!! Anyhow thanks for commenting.

      Delete