Thursday, August 1, 2019

Where are all the "Shelby" type guys?......

When Carroll Shelby stuffed a 260 / 289 Ford V8 into the AC Ace he created a high-performance legend-the original Cobra. Cobras dominated every race they entered whether it was on a road course or a drag strip. The Cobras success caused Zora-Arkus Duntov to push Corvette development. Others tried stuff like this. A friend of my dad's had an Austin Healey with a 327 Chevy stuffed in it. The buff magazines called this swap the "Poor man's Cobra".  Through the '70's my friends and I built cool stuff, with some help from the buff magazines and companies like Hooker. My dad and I built a V8 Vega when I was in high school. A girl I knew had a V8 Pinto.  Another friend put a 350 into a Chevy LUV pickup. That truck was brutally quick since the LUV had something like 4.33:1 gears in the rear end.  My dad and I put a 350 Chevy into a Datsun 240Z. My cousin had a Datsun SPL311 with a 215 inch Buick V8 and a Muncie 4-speed. Guys were always fooling around with stuff like that and the cars were always great fun to drive and really fast. I guess maybe newer cars have just too much electronic nannies to mess with. I mean you don't see someone putting a small-block Chevy into a Saturn Sky or a 5.0 Ford into a Miata.  Maybe they just plain won't fit-I don't know anyone who has tried. Once in a while you'll see a small-block Chevy in an S10 pickup.  I saw a Pontiac Fiero that had a supercharged 3.8 V6 and transaxle in it's mid-engine compartment. It was undgodly fast. I think we need more of these projects. I'll do some research and see if their feasible. Maybe we can do a "Project Junkyard Dog" and put a Supercharged 3.8 out of a Riviera in an '80's Firebird, or a Supercharged 3.8 Ford out of a wrecked T-Bird into a '90's Mustang. How about a Dodge Dakota with a 360 Magnum stroked to 410 inches?  Any one else have any suggestions?  Mastermind

2 comments:

  1. They may be "fun to drive" but they are dangerous! You say nothing about the substantial weight transfer nor do you address the need for bigger brakes after such modifications. Just stuffing a big engine in a little car is a recipe for disaster.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for Commenting! I beg to differ. A 350 Chevy V8 only weighs about 20 lbs more than the Datsun 6-cylinder it replaced,yet has almost double the power. The SPL311 swap is the same-the aluminum Buick 215 V8 is actually lighter than the 4-banger it replaced. Plus, setting the small V8 back a couple inches improved handling. We had to shorten the driveshaft, but that was easily done by a driveline shop. And the 240Z and SPL311 had front disc brakes, as did the Pinto, Vega and the LUV. The Pinto used a Maverick rear end. The MUstang II was Pinto based and had 302s from the factory. I did break the rear axle on the Vega, but a Monza rear end solved that problem. Thanks for chiming in.

      Delete