Friday, February 11, 2011

Another convert!

I just had to post this. A friend, who has raced Mazda Miatas in their semi-pro racing series, and owned Porsches, MGs,Datsun 240Z's and other legendary sports cars and always scoffed at American muscle recently decided that like a lot of middle-aged men, the one thing missing in his life- for some it's a Harley-Davidson motorcycle, for others it's a musclecar-that he had to fill this need. He asked my advice. Since he had a sports-car background, and I knew handling was important to him, I recommended a 1970's Pontiac Trans-Am. Even though he's always been a "stick" guy, he bought a 1974 T/A with a 400 V8, Turbo 400 automatic and 3.08 gears. Since he goes between L.A. and Vegas a lot for his business, this was perfect. Here's a transcript of a message he left on my voice-mail. Ihad to listen to it about ten times because i was laughing so hard. "Hey man-I bought that T/A." "It's like I'm Kid Rock or something." "Everywhere I go people give me a thumbs-up or say "Nice car." "Now I know what your talking about." "I'm used to high-revving sports cars." "It was such a trip to feel the torque driving the car instead of high rpm horsepower." "If I wanted to pass an old lady, I just stepped on the gas." "I didn't have to downshift two gears and rev the motor to 7 grand." "On my last rip to Vegas, I got a ticket and didn't care." "I was skating along at 100 or 110, and it felt like I was going 75." "The cop told me what a nice car he thought it was, and how it easy it is to speed in such a car, and that he felt bad, but since I was over 100, he kind of had to cite me." "He said he'd feel like Burt Reynolds too, but to take it easy." "Thanks for recommending the T/A." "I love It."  You can't get a better testimonial than that for buying a musclecar. Mastermind.   

No comments:

Post a Comment