Wednesday, November 13, 2013

More on the path of Most Resistance......

Got some more inquiries about what combo to build from several people, and again, they all pooh-poohed what I said. Why ask a professional advice and then go completely against what the guy said?  Here's another couple of examples of this insanity. Not listener # 1 wanted to hot rod his '89 Mustang and get the most "Bang for the Buck".. I suggested that he buy a 345 hp Ford 302 SVT crate motor. It would bolt right in, and with some 3.73 gears and drag radials it should put that light car solidly in the 12s. If he wanted to go faster than that I suggested adding a Ford Racing blower to the crate motor which would bump hp up to 495 and put him solidly in the 11s, while still having decent drivability. He asked about transplanting a 4.6 from a later model. When I said that would be a huge pain in the ass and expensive, and that there was actually more speed equipment for the "5.0" Fox cars than there are for the '96 and later models. When I stated that there are guys running 9s with stock block 302s or 347 strokers, and that a 4.6 wouldn't go any faster at twice the price, he asked if a 460 would be a better idea. When I said that would be even more trouble and expense and wouldn't really go much faster than a pumped up 302, he said I had no imagination. Ok, Imagine all you want, but I know guys that are running 11s with their "5.0's" that don't have 5 grand in the whole car. Transplanting a 4.6 or swapping in a hot 460 would cost way more than that. I though he wanted the most "Bang" for the buck?  Not listener # 2 had a '75 Duster with a 318 that he wanted to go real fast with. I told him to get a 360 Magnum out of a Jeep Cherokee or Dodge Pickup and add a hot roller cam and an Edelbrock Performer RPM intake and get some 4.10 gears. For very little bucks he'd have a blistering fast ride. He asked about swapping in a 440. When I said he'd have to change the crossmember and the transmission as well as buying and building a 440, which would be much more expensive than a used 360, he called me a "Naysayer". Ok. Don't do a cheap, easy, virtually "bolt-in" swap. Attempt one way beyond your ability and pocketbook, and then be disappointed or end up selling the half-finished car for a loss, but whatever you do, don't take a pros advice. Mastermind  

No comments:

Post a Comment