Thursday, November 7, 2013

Why people hate car salesmen....

I said a few weeks ago that I was maybe interested in a new Challenger. The shop I work at services Enterprise Rent A Car so I've driven a lot of 6-cylinder Chargers and Chrysler 300s, which are nice. I know the Challenger is the same platform, but I'd never driven one, so I went to my local Dodge dealer to drive one. I test-drove one, and it was nice, and I liked it. The salesman asked if I wanted to crunch numbers. Having sold cars for 7 years in the '80's I knew the game, but I figured what the hell, let's see if I can afford it. Then Playhouse 90 starts. I know I have iffy credit after my divorce and home foreclosure. If you can't finance me, just say so. Tell me I'm a credit criminal to my face and I'll leave. No, they send in the "Closer" who tells me I can't buy the Alpine white 2013 Challenger I test drove, but I can buy a silver 2012 Charger with 30,000 miles on it for $700 a month and 26 percent interest, which means I'd be paying $50,000 for this car that has a wholesale Blue Book of $20,900. When I said thanks, but no thanks, he acted appalled. "I thought you wanted a new car, I thought you wanted to rebuild your credit." "Not by paying 50 grand for a car that's going to be worth ten when it's paid off." I replied. Obviously I walked. Since then the salesman and the sales manager have called me every day for 21 days and left messages on my cell phone. I even talked to the salesman once or twice. He said they could finance me at 15 percent interest and $500 a month for 72 months on the Challenger I liked. When I said I wasn't keen on paying $42,500 for a car that had an MSRP of $22,995, and that I really couldn't afford $500 a month for six years and to stop calling me, that didn't help. I still get called every day, because I test-drove a car 4 weeks ago. If I hit MegaBucks tomorrow I'd go buy an SRT8 Challenger from the Dodge Dealer 20 miles away and then drive it over there and show it to them and tell them I didn't buy from them because they irritated me and stalked me. What part of no do you not understand, the n or the o?  I'm mortally offended and I've had that job, and pressure from sales managers about working customers that walked, but for Christ's sake, give up. Normal people must be out of their mind. I looked at a car and this motherfucker is going to hound me for two months?  If I ever decide to buy a Dodge vehicle, it won't be there, I'll go out of town just for spite. Mastermind.  

No comments:

Post a Comment