Wednesday, September 24, 2014

For major bucks it better be perfect....Part2...

Like Dennis Miller used to say-"Sorry to get off on a rant here" but I can't help it. I can't believe the prices some people are asking for piece of shit musclecars. I guess some people are paying it, because that's the market. But I see total crap priced the same as diamonds. Here's a good example-I was searching for GTO's on the 'net. I found a numbers matching, original, 69,000 mile Ram Air IV GTO with the special "OW" TH400 and 4.33:1 Posi rear for $45,000. That's a screaming deal. On the same website some idiot wanted $39,000 for a base-model 1968 GTO that's been "in storage" but hadn't been started or driven since 1991!!! How do you know then engine isn't locked up?  Or the Tranny toast? Or the wiring harness chewed to death by rodents in 23 years of storage??!!  And the owner want's 40 freaking grand for this piece of crap??!!!  When I can buy a running, low-mileage, documented RAIV for 5K more???!!!  Here's another one-more Pontiacs-sorry I love them-but it still drives the point home. These two were both pristine-but the price difference was staggering. A 1978 400, 4-speed, WS6 T/A with 44,000 original miles for $19,900!!!  Or a 1976 400, 4-speed T/A with 36,000 miles for $39,995!!  Hmmm? Which line would I be in?  I guess it comes down to "Buyer Beware". And buyer have common sense. At the last Hot August Nights Auction here in Reno I saw the stupidest thing ever. A "Clone" 1970 Challenger T/A sold for $32,000. The seller admitted it wasn't numbers-matching, that it was a gussied-up 318 model with a 360 crate motor and the "Six-Pak" induction setup. Some moron paid 32 grand for it. About an hour later, at the same auction-a "Real" numbers-matching-albeit a tad rougher-but still in really good shape for a 44 year old car-Challenger T/A went through for 24K.  Hello???!!! Someone paid 8 grand MORE for a FAKE than you could buy the real deal for??  When did 2+2 equal 3?  In Hemmings motor news in the Ford section I saw a 1969 Shelby GT350 Mustang for sale for $75,000. In the same issue-and they had pictures-and it was hard to tell which one was nicer-I saw another one for $44,000!!!  Neither amount is not chump change-but the red one didn't look 30 grand nicer than the blue one!!!!  All I can say is take Smokey Robinson's advice- "My Mama Told Me, You Better Shop Around".  Mastermind          

No comments:

Post a Comment