Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Another Junkyard Dog Idea......

A friend suggested I look at an 1980-81 "Turbo" Trans-Am or Formula Firebird. Obviously were not going to try to build a 301 Turbo; if GM couldn't make it work, I'm not going to try to. However, my friend pointed out that crappy, underpowered engine nothwithstanding, these cars had WS6 suspension, a Posi rear end,4-wheel disc brakes, and the "Turbo" hood bulge would allow more induction system clearance than the traditional "Shaker".  And their cheap because everyone wants the '79 and earlier 400 or 455 inch versions. There are three ways to go with this-one the obvious-swap the 301 for a larger Pontiac engine. ( I have a 428 ) This would be pretty easy.  Two-find a Supercharged 231 V6 out of a wrecked Bonneville SSEI or Buick Riviera. These were under-rated at 240 hp, and changing the pulleys to up the boost could easily net another 100-150 hp. Add a 150 hp shot of nitrous, and we've have some serious speed for low bucks. The third would be swap in a small-block Chevy. ( I have a roller-cammed Vortec 350 out of a 1997 Van, and I have a 355hp ZZ4 crate engine.) I'd have to get a Chevy bolt-pattern TH350, but that's not hard. Now the question remains-'70's Ventura, 50s gasser, or Disco-era T/A?  Mastermind   

No comments:

Post a Comment