Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Project Junkyard dog redux?

I haven't been able to locate a decent Pontiac Ventura for a reasonable price yet. I did come across a '57 Pontiac Starcheif for sale for $500 the other day. I went to look at it, and the body was in good shape, but the guy had sold it to someone about 15 minutes before I got there!!  I bring this up because I thought this might be a good project. Build a '60s style-gasser like you used to see in magazines-radiused fenderwells, straight front axle,-complete badass like the '55 Chevy in "Two-Lane Blacktop". Except instead of using a '55-57 Chevy-( People want 8 grand for engineless rustbuckets ) I'd use a '55-58 Pontiac or Olds. I have a 428 Pontiac engine, and a 455 Olds engine, and a BOP bolt-pattern Turbo 400 in my garage. I have an Offenhauser Dual Quad intake for a Pontiac, and I know a guy that has a Tri-Power setup for a Big-block Olds. This might be cool and unique. I'm still pitching the "Junkyard Dog"  idea to a couple magazines. If you think its a good idea then write or e-mail John Hunkins at Popular Hot Rodding, or David Freiburger at Hot Rod and let them know. If I get enough interest, they'll serialize the build in a couple issues and maybe do a drag test when it's done. (The Ventura was everyone's overwhelming favorite, unless the '50s Gasser beats it out.) So start writing and make this project a reality!  Mastermind     

No comments:

Post a Comment